So the first step to drawing up a plan of attack is to work out what is the outcome I am after.
So what do I want?
It would be awfully convenient if none of these pages ever turned up again, but that isn’t going to happen and may not even be what I want.
My primary goal is to ensure that if my name is searched on any major search engine, the first 2-3 pages of hits do not associate me with any of the negative fallout of having my name misappropriated. Once that has been achieved, I can see whether I can do better than that.
As I mentioned previously, I do want the bulk of the information in these pages to remain available, but without the reference to my misappropriated details. For brevity, I’ll refer to these negative references caused by the abuse of the misappropriated details as “the fallout”.
So then what are the possible angles of attack to recover my name?
- Increase ranking of positive references to my name over the other pages.
- Removal of my name from the inappropriate and negative pages from search results.
Where do I want these removed or rank lowered?
- Search engines: Google, Bing, Yahoo
- Metasearch engines:
- People profiling sites: Pipl
- More amitious targets: DuckDuckGo
So now that I have an indea of what it is I want to achieve, what are my options?
Based on feedback from my very good friends, there are a few things I will try.
- Build a site to explain the situation and link to the good material on the internet
- Use Google ads to improve site ranking of a site describing the situation
- Ask the people to remove my name from the offending pages
- Get people to go on a clicking campaign on my behalf to help the good results turn up first
- Remove my name from people indexing aggregators that associate me with the fallout
As I implement these, I will write up caveats, hits, misses and take on any extra ideas from you!